I have been checking out the blog tour on Romance Author Hotspot and it’s been so fun. If you’ve never been on a Blog Tour, this sis a great first experience, at least it has been for me. I’m not all the way through it yet, however I have been reading through Deb Werksman interview, which is great, but the REAL gold is found in the comments section, where Deb answers readers’ questions. I’ll repeat it at the end but go to www.romanceauthorhotspot.com and click on the header for Summer Bash 2011.
Here is just a snippet of what you’ll find in the comments section:
Q: What is your editorial criteria?
- a heroine the reader can relate to
- a hero she can fall in love with
- a world gets created that she can escape into
- a hook I can sell with in 2-3 sentences
- the author has a clear career arc–i.e., if readers love the first book, what
are we giving them next, and next and next?
Q: Would like to know what kind of stories would you like to see cross your desk (something that would really excite you)?
- straight contemporaries that are fun to read (not issues-based, which I don’t think works in romance)
- romantic suspense with law enforcement theme/characters
- romantic comedy
- commercial women’s fiction with a great hook and an unusual premise
- Georgian and Victorian England historical romance
Q: Also, what kind of stories/genre do you think needs to be freshened up?
DW: paranormal romance and erotic romance
That’s just the tip of the iceberg, folks. Go check out the rest of the great blogs on the tour. There are many new-to-you authors to explore. www.romanceauthorhotspot.com